Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Artful Inkable Wednesday- A Technique Challenge

The last 2 weeks have simply flown by and now it is time for another Artful Inkables Challenge. Before I get in to the details about the challenge, I would like to introduce you to the newest Ink Girl, Terri Todd! You will definitely want to pop over to her blog and look at her awesome creations! Welcome, Terri! I'm so excited to be designing with you!

Now, this weeks challenge is hostessed by no other the Queen Ink Girl herself, owner/designer Kristin Soboloski! Since she is calling the shots on today's challenge, she is offering up an awesome prize via random drawing for all that participate in the challenge!!!! Anyone who participates in the challenge this week will be eligible for ONE FREE AI STAMP SET OF
THEIR CHOICE!! How awesome is that! If you wish to participate, please post a link to your creation either at the Artful Inkables blog or in your SCS gallery. (Include ARTINK [all capitals] in the keywords when you upload on SCS so we can find your card.) Kristin will
then randomly draw the winner from the names of those who participated. Artful INKables Stamps are not required, but if you've got 'em, why not give 'em some lovin'? The most important rule is to have fun.

The title of today's challenge is "The Doodle MASKquerade Challenge." The specifics are at the AI blog but essentially you are to include masking and doodling on your card! My card seemed to take on a life of it's own. I had a plan but as I stamped away things took on a different turn and a fairytale developed! I decided to make a birthday card for a friend that loves purple and the colors in the new BG Eva was perfect for this. I teamed it up with Pale Plum and Kiwi Kiss CS. The Pale Plum was embossed using a Cuttlebug folder. The ribbon is MM and the flowers are Prima.

My first part of the challenge was to make the "cloud" background using a mask made by punching a post- it note with a scallop oval punch. I then used a jumbo dauber to daub around the mask using Bordering Blue Classic Ink on Whisper White paper. The smooth finish to the Whisper White paper makes it perfect for this technique. The next example of masking was used to make the cute little fairy sit on the mushrooms. I first stamped the fairy from Enchanted Fairies onto Solar White CS then stamped it again on a post-it note and cut that image out to make a mask. After covering the original stamped image with the mask, I stamped the mushrooms living right under the fairy's "hiney hoo (Rachel's word for her bottom) to sit unmarred. I them colored the image with my Copic markers and added some Angel Wings Shimmerz to her wings. The next part of the challenge was just that, challenging. This card was not the right style for a black pen sort of doodle. Instead I used a gold Zig paint pen to enhance certain areas on the image. I, also, added the gold pen to the embossed Pale Plum and the Kiwi Kiss photo corners that I cut with a Sizzix die. My photo does not pick up the gold "doodling" as much as I would like but the soft gold definitely gives this Enchanted Fairy a magical, whimsical appearance. Be sure to check out the rest of the DT members blogs to see what they have done with these fun techniques!
Wishing you TIME filled with fun and inky finger! Take care!

12 comments:

Broni said...

What a fantastic card, Beth! There are so many wonderful little details to take in! I couldn't stop looking at it! Your coloring is amazing and the clouds you created are just perfect!

Julia Aston said...

Super masking on the toadstools and fun fairy - wonderful coloring on this Beth! Super challenge card - Ohhhh - I forgot to check your doodling! so I'll go check it out now!!

Terri said...

LOVE your card, Beth...beautiful details. TFS!

Kristin said...

Super fun card, Beth! I love the fairy on the mushrooms! You added some super fun fantasy elements to this project and it is just fantastic!

Anonymous said...

Such a lovely, whimsical card! Pure fun. Thank you so much for the words of encouragement - what you said makes perfect sense and I will take it to heart. Great ideas :)

Suzy

Dianne said...

Love it, Love it, Love it! ! ! ! And I especially love the wonderful cloud paper you made!
Outstanding job. I wish I had your creativity..I can paint and copy most anything..but I don't usually come up with the ideas. You are a true artist! ! ! !of stamps, paper and ink...and I'm sure you would be a fantastic artish with paint and brush!

Anonymous said...

WOW Beth! This is awesome! I love the flowers, embossing, layout, detail! So awesome!

Rose Ann said...

Wow....this is just fabulous, Beth!! Your details are wonderful, and your coloring is amazing!!!

Cheryl KVD said...

Oh my goodness, I love the texture here - I just want to reach out and touch this!! It's beautiful!

Jenn Muraoka said...

Hey there! How adorable is this. Thanks for always visiting me and leaving comments. I've been so behind. I'm only getting to some blogs in this past couple days. I love what you did with the challenge. Really cute Beth!!! Hugs, jenn

Becky Sorensen said...

Great card. I love it.

smiln60 said...

Well I must say the card is the most beautiful I've seen. I'm happy to say I was the recipiant of this card for my birthday.

Beth, the detail is out of this world awesome!!!

Thanks for the surprise, and to all the scrapbook friends that signed the card.

Rachel