Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Today's Color Challenge & a Sweet Thank-you


After getting off work in the wee hours of the morning, I was so excited to see that today's Color Challenge over at SCS was already posted and what yummy colors - Pretty in Pink, Regal Rose and Old Olive! I had not participated in a color challenge for awhile (since time is limited and I have to pick and choose, I will usually prefer the sketch challenges) but since I was still pretty keyed up after my shift AND the colors were so wonderful, I decided to give it a go! For me, challenges are a wonderful way to get my creative juices flowing and I find it a great way to pick myself up form a creative slump- find my mojo, so to speak. My image, from my most fav new SU set, Garden Whimsy, was initially stamped in craft Regal Rose on vellum CS than heat embossed with clear EP. After cutting along the bold lines of the image, I adhered it to a second stamped image so that the fine details would still be visible AND the image would have dimension. I love this technique! When I remembered that the challenges colors could be found in the DSP, Petals & Paisleys, I was excited because I had not used that cute paper in a while. I took the 2 PP pieces, glued them together, then ran it all through the 'bug. I punched a large oval out of the PP panel then stamped my sentiment on the CS base

(tip: after I punch the shape, I lay it on the piece of CS that I will be stamping the sentiment on and draw its outline with a pencil. Then I stamp the sentiment within the pencil lines and erase the pencil when I am done. This way the sentiment show up in the correct spot.)

The embossed panel was layered on the PIP CS base and there you have it.
It's a very simple card but the color combination will definitely go down as one of my favs!


A few weeks ago, I received a REALLY terrific surprise in the mail. This beautiful thank-you card from none other than the most wonderful Julee Tilman of Poetic Artistry. I was so thrilled to be the recipient of this beautiful card from such a talented gal, I almost sent her a thank-you card for the thank-you card! It made me think of an episode from Ruby & Max (2 little bunnies on Nick Jr. for those of you without small kids) where Ruby was making a thank-you card and was just sure her Aunt would love it so much that she would send her a thank-you and this would continue until Ruby ran out of sparkles (of course, I would never run out of sparkles.) Thanks, Julee- you made my day. Until I return, Take care!

Pink & Olive Garden Whimsy card recipe:
Stamps: Garden Whimsey
Paper: Pretty in Pink, Shimmery White, Vellum CS, Petals & Paisleys DSP
Ink: Regal Rose craft & classic, Regal Rose Stampin' Write marker
Accessories: Scalloped punch, corner rounder punch, Large Oval punch, Mat pack, white gel pen, clear EP, heat tool, rose ribbon

1 comment:

Jill said...

I love your card. Just about any combination of pink and green is a winner in my book. The cuttle bugged background looks fabulous too.